Top 5 Best Convertible Baby Car Seats | 2020 Reviews
Life used to be so easy – and so unsafe. When our parents and grandparents had their children, they simply put them in flimsy aluminum “car seats” next to the driver’s seat, and when the kids outgrew those “safety” seats, they were old enough to ride in the back with everyone else.
Today, parents have to deal with laws (which are different in every state) mandating different types of child car seats for different ages, and buy a succession of infant, rear-facing, front-facing and booster seats as their children grow older. There are very good reasons for those laws, and few would argue their wisdom. That doesn’t lessen the financial burden on parents, though.
One smart way to at least avoid some of the expense of continual car seat purchases is with the use of convertible baby car seats. These versatile products install initially as the required rear-facing seat for children under the age of 2 (at least, that’s the age requirement in most states). They can then be turned around to become a front-facing car seat for toddlers, suitable for use until the children grow too big for the convertible seat and need a booster seat.
Today’s convertible seats can be confusing or difficult to install, particularly in small cars, because they can be installed either by attaching a vehicle’s seat belt to them or via the government-mandated LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers) system straps and hooks. But these seats make up for it in versatility since once they’re in your car, they can stay there for years. They’re also designed and built for child safety our parents and grandparents never dreamed of being possible.
With prices ranging from $50 to $500 and their children’s well-being at stake, parents often lay out enormous money, assuming that the most expensive models must also be the safest and best-designed. That’s not always the case; there are some terrific seats that aren’t budget-busters.
We know that you are excited with our top 5 list, but you may want to check first our Best Convertible Baby Car Seat Buying Guide here.
Done? Now, here’s our list of the top 5 convertible baby car seats on the market.
Quick Comparison Table
Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible Car Seat
Britax USA Advocate ClickTight Car Seat
Chicco NextFit CS Convertible Car Seat
Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat
Safety 1st Complete Air 65 LX Convertible Car Seat
6 Harness Positions
7 Harness Positions
9 Harness Positions
5 Harness Positions
4 Harness Positions
FAQ ( From Our Ardent Fans)
- How long are the car seats good for? This varies from company to company and the quality of the material used by the manufacturer. Its worth to check the expiration date at the bottom of the seat to understand your seat's durability. As a rule of thumb, if you are wondering how long is the car seat good for, we recommend to use car seats no longer than 6 years from the date of manufacture and/or purchase. If you are planning to make use the same seat for your little one from his elder sibling, it is highly advised you check the expiration date from the manufacture/purchase and not the actual usage of the seat
- Why do car seats expire? Mostly due to the quality of the materials used and the actual material itself. Car seats are made of lot of harnesses, latches, as well as material that is conducive enough to withhold stress and impact. Over a period time, these wear out and become less durable from a lifetime perspective.
- When do car seats expire? Please see question 1 above. This depends on manufacturer to manufacturer as well as the quality of the material used
- How do I find the car seat expiration date? All manufacturers have to follow regulatory & consumer watchdog guidelines and are legally obliged to display expiration date of car seats so finding the expiration date is not onerous. Most of the time this is displayed under the seat itself or in rare circumstances, if you manage not to find one, check the owner's manual
- How long until my seat expires? The typical lifespan of a very well built car seat from a reputed manufacturer lasts for 6 years but there are some robust recent models that can last as long as 9.
- How do i dispose off my car seat? After expiration, please recycle them to dispose off
- How do I recycle my old car seat? With all the manufacturers swaying towards sustainability and aim to be more greener, thankfully, most of the car seat parts are recyclable. Most US cities now have car seat recycling programs like ReSEAT, where its just as easy as dropping your old seat off. You could also drop it in your local recycle centres or mail your to a recycling program like BabyEarthRenew
- Are there any new car seats that are fully and 100% recyclable? A variant of Clek, Foonf claims to be manufactured with all recyclable materials and adhere to sustainability guidelines, however, we haven't checked their particular model. The manufacturer also offers a loyalty discount of twenty dollars on the new seat when the old one is sent back, so worth checking it!