Top 5 Best Infant Helmets | 2020 Reviews
As sweet as our little babies may seem, they can be very rough and rowdy creatures. Parents love to see their kids do adventurous things especially if they can do it independently but safety is always a major concern.
Take biking, for example. It sure is nice to see kids as young as a year old to hop on their bikes but we are also scared of them getting bruises or their heads making contact with anything hard. If you know a parent whose infant is already interested in bikes, then you probably have also witnessed their obsession for baby bike helmets.
Unfortunately, finding the right helmet that is small enough for an infant’s or a young toddler’s head can be quite challenging since most manufacturers make helmets that can accommodate a school-aged child’s much bigger head.
So, how do you look for the best infant bike helmet for your little one? Go for an infant bicycle helmet that fits snugly around your baby’s head. To get their measurements, get a tape measure and wrap it around the head once inch above the eyebrows which is the thickest part of their head. As much as possible, avoid a hard shell helmet and go for an in-mold model as they are well ventilated and are lightweight. Heavy helmets tend to be very uncomfortable for small babies.
Vents will allow more fresh air to circulate around the head to make bike riding more comfortable. You would not want to have a kiddo who is hot and sweaty during a ride because they are extremely irritable! All helmets sold in the US should come with a certification from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If you are in doubt, better do your shopping at a reputable store.
Before you go through our list, check out our detailed Best Helmets for Infants and Toddlers Buying Guide here.
So, are you ready to check out our top 5 recommendations on infant bike helmets? Check out our reviews!
Quick Comparison Table
Lazer BOB (Baby on Board) Infant Helmet
Nutcase Baby Nutty Street Bike Helmet
Giro Me2 Infant Bike Helmet
Joovy Noodle Helmet
Schwinn Infant Helmet
46 – 52 cm
47 – 50 cm
48 – 52 cm
47 – 52 cm
44 – 50 cm
Which of the brands did you think most appealed to you?
We hope this list of reviews on several bike helmets for babies will help you decide the best one for your little one. Weigh out the pros and cons very carefully and make sure to consider the things that we have mentioned earlier in this guide. Enjoy your bike rides and cherish your moments together but make sure that your kiddo stays safe and comfortable, too.
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- Why would a child need to wear Infant helmet while biking? The answer is simple. Pure safety. When a child falls over from a bike while riding on it or as a passenger, the first part to hit the ground is the head and cause severe injuries. Considering the child safety it is absolutely necessary for the child to wear helmet while biking.
- Why is it so important to wear a helmet? Helmet is the first line of defence. We can't stress enough on the safety aspects of your child while on the bike. No matter how closely you are monitoring your child, accidents can happen and cause serious injuries to your little one. To avoid any such harm , we strongly recommend children to wear infant helmets while on bike.
- Do infant helmets reduce head injuries? Yes most certainly it does reduce the risk of death. 75% of all accidents involves head injuries. By wearing helmet you could reduce the damage caused during accidents and aid for quicker recovery.
- How does helmet protect your infant's head? Well it is better not to crash at all. But in the worst circumstances if they do, better crash with a helmet as it absorbs 90% of the force caused by the impact during the crash and can reduce the risk of fatal death. The injuries caused by wearing a helmet is a lot lesser as compared to wearing no helmet at all.
- Why are bicycle helmets shaped the way they are? The infant helmets are circle in shape to fit the shape of the head and is aerodynamically designed so that less air particles enter the helmet and does not get in the way during crash. If the air particles come in the way during impact, it creates a force called drag and results in serious injuries to the head.
- Can i buy cheap infant helmets? Cheap infant helmets which are not certified for safety does not do the job they are meant to do. So there is no real benefit of wearing it. As it is the safety of your child, we would recommend a standard one. Please read through our reviews to find your best pick that suits your budget.
- Are infant helmets available in different sizes? Are they adjustable? yes they are available in various sizes and also has a adjustable band to fasten it tight.
- How to measure infant head for helmets? Take a garment measuring tape and wrap it around one inch above his/her eyebrows to find the exact size.
- How should a infant helmet fit? The helmet should sit low on the forehead leaving 2 finger spaces above the eyebrow. The side straps should form a 'Y' below the ear and the child should be able to comfortably see the rim of the bicycle.
- How to choose the best infant helmet for my child? We understand it is extremely tricky to chose the one that suits you the best as there are several available in the market. Our review page about best toddler helmets will help you understand the various types of helmets and also provide a price tag for you to suit your budget.
- Where can i buy infant helmets? You could buy them in store or shop online from trusted online retailers like amazon for best prices.