Top 5 Best Toddler Helmets | 2020 Reviews
Any form of physical activity is recommended for you and your entire family to keep everyone healthy and happy. Going on bicycle rides are a great form of exercise and entertainment, for example, and it is required for anyone of any age to go and protect their heads with bicycle helmets. Whether your child rides a bike on their own or rides along with you, helmets are required to help keep their tiny heads safe especially during a fall.
Bike helmets are made from fairly inexpensive materials so if you decide to go for the high-end and pricey ones, remember that you are paying for the lighter weight, better ventilation, style and perhaps a combination of all.
As for the toddler helmet, there are a few things that you might want to keep in mind before making the decision to purchase one. Most helmets available in the market are designed for school-aged kids who have much larger heads than toddlers. Aside from the size, it is also important to consider other things such as weight, ventilation, style and color. They may still be young but kids this age already know how to say no to things that they don’t like!
Another thing you might want to look at when choosing a toddler bike helmet is the CPSC certification. Kids around three years old should not be getting helmets with a 1+ certification as these will be too small for the head of a toddler or preschooler. At this age, a certification of 5+ should be the standard.
So, to give a recap, the things that you should consider in a kid’s bike helmet include the size, weight, ventilation (the more vents, the better the air circulation), chin straps (some helmets make adjusting the fit a breeze through the dial adjust feature) and construction (in-mold models tend to be more lightweight and durable than the hardshell).
Confused yet? Sorry about that. As parents ourselves, we at the ParentsNeed HQ are only in the lookout for what is best for our kids and we want to make sure that you make the best decisions as it is their safety and comfort that is at stake.
If you still cannot decide which of the kid’s helmets to go for, we’ve come up with a list of the top 5 best and most recommended toddler helmets. Hopefully the bicycle helmet reviews below will help clear up your mind so you can make the best purchasing decision. Otherwise, you can check out our comprehensive Best Helmets for Infants and Toddlers Buying Guide here.
Quick Comparison Table
Giro Scamp MIPS Helmet
Uvex 2016 Hero Junior Bicycle Helmet
Lazer P’Nut Helmet with MIPS
Bell Sidetrack Helmet
Catlike Kitten Child Helmet
There are still a lot of considerations that you might want to remember when shopping around for the best helmet for toddlers. But, in the end, it is your kid’s comfort and safety that should be the top priority. No matter how great a helmet is, if your kid is not comfortable wearing it, then it will not be able to provide the best protection that it potentially can.
Make sure to consult your little ones in your decision to ensure that both of you agree on your choice of bicycle helmet for toddlers.
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- Why would a child need to wear toddler helmet while biking? The answer is simple. Pure safety. When a child falls over from a bike while riding on it or as a passenger, the first part to hit the ground is the head which may cause severe injuries. Considering child safety it is absolutely necessary for the child to wear helmet while biking.
- Why is it so important to wear a helmet? Helmet is the first line of defence. We can't stress enough on the safety aspects of your child while on the bike. No matter how closely you are monitoring your child, accidents can happen and cause serious injuries to your little one. To avoid any such harm , we strongly recommend children to wear toddler helmets while on bike.
- Is it against the law to ride a bike without wearing helmet? Yes it is. There are strict laws put in place in 22 states, to wear a helmet while on road. It is similar to wearing a seatbelt while driving.
- Do toddler helmets reduce head injuries? Yes most certainly it does reduce the risk of death. 75% of all accidents involves head injuries. By wearing helmet you could reduce the damage caused during accidents and aid for quicker recovery.
- How does helmet protect your toddler's head? Well it is better not to crash at all. But in the worst circumstances if they do, better crash with a helmet as it absorbs 90% of the force caused by the impact during the crash and can reduce the risk of fatal death. The injuries caused by wearing a helmet is a lot lesser as compared to wearing no helmet at all.
- Why are bicycle helmets shaped the way they are? The toddler helmets are circle in shape to fit the shape of the head and is aerodynamically designed so that less air particles enter the helmet and does not get in the way during crash. If the air particles come in the way during impact, it creates a force called drag and results in serious injuries to the head.
- Can i buy cheap toddler helmets? Cheap toddler helmets which are not certified for safety does not do the job they are meant to do. So there is no real benefit of wearing it. As it is the safety of your child, we would recommend a standard one. Please read through our reviews to find your best pick that suits your budget.
- Do toddler helmets expire? Not really unless it is damaged or worn out. They can be used for years to come.
- Do toddlers need helmets on bike trailers? Yes of course as they are still on their own bike at the back and can still fall off.
- Are toddler helmets available in different sizes? Are they adjustable? yes they are available in various sizes and also has a adjustable band to fasten it tight.
- How to measure toddler head for helmets? Take a garment measuring tape and wrap it around one inch above his/her eyebrows to find the exact size.
- How should a toddler helmet fit? The helmet should sit low on the forehead leaving 2 finger spaces above the eyebrow. The side straps should form a 'Y' below the ear and the child should be able to comfortably see the rim of the bicycle.
- How to get a toddler wear the helmet? We completely agree that it is extremely challenging. But we have to explain the risks of not wearing it and highlight the importance of it several times until they get a hang of it. May be you could try luring them by buying them their favorite character helmets so they enjoy flaunting them.
- How to choose the best toddler helmet for my child? We understand it is extremely tricky to chose the one that suits you the best as there are several available in the market. Our review page about best toddler helmets will help you understand the various types of helmets and also provide a price tag for you to suit your budget.
- Where can i buy toddler helmets? You could buy them in store or shop online from trusted online retailers like amazon for best prices.