Top 5 Best Umbrella Strollers | 2021 Reviews
There are two categories of people who purchase umbrella strollers. (If you’re among the uninitiated, umbrella strollers are so named for the shape of their handles, not because they have a parasol on top to shield the child.)
The first group wants a simple and inexpensive lightweight stroller that’s easy to move, fold and store. The second group is also looking for the conveniences that accompany a lightweight baby stroller – but doesn’t want to sacrifice “luxuries” like large sun canopies, reclining seats and leg rests, or ample storage space and cup holders. There are plenty of umbrella strollers to satisfy each group; as you’d guess, however, the ones with the bells and whistles are usually the ones with the bigger price tags.
In either case, an umbrella unit is ideal for shopping (when you have to repeatedly take the stroller in and out of the car), downtown walks (where the added maneuverability of a lightweight stroller is a real plus), or traveling. That’s why those who depend on a heavy-duty or jogging stroller for day-to-day walks or runs around the neighborhood swear by the convenience of having an umbrella stroller in the closet or car, and it’s why those who live in crowded cities or in buildings with lots of stairs couldn’t live without one.
Umbrella strollers are also a good way for parents who live in favorable climates to get away without having to spend their entire budget on a heavy-duty model. Umbrellas with more advanced features will still cost quite a bit but will be less expensive than comparable full-sized or jogger models, leaving some extra money for playpens, outfits – or at least an ice-cream while out walking the baby.
In our look at the top 5 best umbrella strollers we’ve included both bare-bones and “luxury” models to provide the widest-possible range of choices, while taking care to differentiate between them.
Here’s the list.
Quick Comparison Table
UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller
Quinny Yezz Stroller
Chicco Liteway Stroller
Summer Infant 3D Lite Stroller
Maclaren Mark II Stroller
3 Positions Recline
5 Positions Recline
4 Positions Recline
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- What is an Umbrella stroller? It is a lightweight, economic, easy to fold stroller for everyday use. The name comes not because of its canopy (as most types of strollers have them) but for its special design umbrella shaped handle.
- Why do i need to choose umbrella stroller over others? Umbrella strollers are predominantly used for its light weight and manoeuvrability. It is easy to fold and costs much less than the standard built for purpose strollers. It can also be used for jogging, but would still recommend to use jogging strollers as sometime the brakes may get engaged accidentely.
- What is the typical age range for using the umbrella stroller? Well, the age range varies with each model. While some allow you to use from newborn to upto 6/7 years, others recommend using it from 3 months or even 6 months or until the child can hold its head firm on its shoulders. So please do not forget to read the instructions and match it with your requirement.
- Can i put my new born in umbrella strollers? Yes there are some models which recline completely flat. They are definetely suitable for infants. Please read the instructions before buying them.
- Are there different reclining positions available in umbrella stroller? Yes most of them have 3 to 4 recline positions to keep your baby in a comfortable position. Some of them completely recline to a flat position to keep your infant safe while sleeping.
- Can i adjust the footrest to suit my child? Yes certainly you can. Most of the models does 5 to 9 adjustable positions so that you can keep your child happy while it is sitting in the stroller.
- Is the canopy big enough to provide shade for my child? Yes of course, it is meant to provide shade for the passenger. Some of the models have wide canopies and some cheaper range comes with a standard one which aren't big enough. Please check the size of the canopy before buying.
- Can the front wheels be locked for safety? Yes most models allow you to lock the front wheels. As always we would recommend you to read the safety instructions before buying.
- Are umbrella strollers easy to fold? Yes they are and hence it is gaining popularity among many women who would like to go shopping with their little one and still be able to manage folding/unfolding the stroller with ease.
- Can i fold the umbrella stroller with one hand? Yes some models are designed to be folded with one press of a button, but not all. So if you are particular about its ease to fold, please have a look at the instruction manual before buying.
- Is there enough storage space in the umbrella strollers? Yes certainly there is. The space beneath the seat has loads of space for storing baby stuff and also a small bag of shopping.
- How much weight can an umbrella stroller take? Well that depends on various factors. One, the weight of the child and its stuff, and second, the weight of the shopping bag. You would be probably risking it by adding too much weight underneath as the stroller may not move in the direction you want to and end up in an accident. So please be sensible while loading it, in order to keep the baby safe.
- Does it have bottle or cup holders? Yes there is but probably only for the passenger.
- Can i use it on all kinds of terrains? Not really. It fails to move efficiently when you are on grass or gravel.
- Can i take it on a plane? Yes most conveniently. It is easy to fold and can be checked in at the counter or at the gate.
- Do umbrella strollers come in more choice of colours? Yes they do. But most of them are unisex colours. If you are particular about blue/pink they are also available in all models.
- How to clean an umbrella stroller? Most of them can be cleaned with a damp cloth or wipes and the padding cloth of the seat can be hand/machine washed based on the instructions given in the manual.
- What is the typical age of a umbrella stroller? Though they are light weight, they are meant to last long. They are highly durable and you will see it through for several years.
- How to buy a cheap umbrella stroller? Well if it is for you child we wouldn't recommend any cheap product as it can compromise with the safety of your child. But there are certainly low range strollers which are of very good quality within your budget. Kindly read through our top reviews which will help you decide on the right umbrella stroller for your child.
- Where can i buy a umbrella stroller? You could buy them in store or through trusted online retailers like Amazon. Don't forget to read our in depth review page before making the important decision.