Top 5 Best Toddler Toothbrush | 2019 Reviews
One of the most exciting things to expect when you have a baby is when your child’s teeth are erupting. Those small bits of white teeth popping out of those soft red gums are just too exhilarating.
The question now comes in: When to start brushing a baby’s teeth? Brushing your baby’s teeth doesn’t have to wait until those first milk teeth pops out; you can immediately start using a clean camp gauze or cloth and rub it around your baby’s first teeth. As more of them erupts and grows, you can start brushing with an infant toothbrush.
Brushing milk teeth also becomes a mother’s dilemma on whether you should choose to use a manual toothbrush or an electric toothbrush. What exactly is the best baby toothbrush recommended by dentists?
Well, the reality kicks in when you actually start brushing your children’s teeth. It can be difficult. Your toddler would start sucking on the baby toothbrush or even start to bite it like a chew toy. It makes brushing difficult since it won’t reach the hard places like the molars and the gums.
To better understand tooth brushing a toddler, we came to figure out that using a toddler electric toothbrush is more effective than using a manual one. Firstly, you won’t have to worry about your child biting it too hard because when they do they get the full force of the wriggling and the shaking and the vibrating of the baby toothbrush.
Secondly, you won’t have to worry if you’re brushing their teeth too soft or too hard. Thirdly, you can practically clean the entire mouth with a sonic toothbrush especially the tongue. Manually brushing your toddler’s tongue may trigger their gag reflex and you don’t want that. And lastly, having an electric toothbrush is so enjoyable for kids!
Here is our list of top ranking toddler electric toothbrushes and the best electric toothbrushes dentists would recommend!
Quick Comparison Table
Philips Sonicare for Kids Electric Toothbrush
Oral B Pro Health Jr Power Toothbrush
Haigerx Kids Electric Sonic Toothbrush
OJV Professional Kids Electric Sonic Toothbrush
Baby Buddy Sonic 360 Toothbrush
2 years +
3 years +
2 years +
1 year +
1 year +
Who said that teaching your child how to brush their teeth is difficult? Well, it isn’t. It’s a fun exercise that you would love to be doing together. Teaching your child how to be dentally hygienic can become a fun and exciting habit for both you and your little tot. You just need the right push, the right attraction and the best sonic toothbrush for kids!
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- What is a toddler toothbrush? How is it different from the manual toothbrush? A toddler toothbrush is an electric toothbrush which helps kids brush their teeth with more ease or shall we say adds more fun to brushing. On the other hand the normal or manual brush may sound boring to kids as they have to do all the work themselves.
- What age can my toddler start using the electric brush? Ideally at the age of 3. But some dentists recommend using electric toothbrush for toddlers with reluctant brushing habits even earlier than that as electric brush has many advantages. Nevertheless, parent supervision is always necessary when the toddler is brushing irrespective of whether it is a manual or electric toothbrush.
- Why can't i continue using manual toothbrush for my toddler? Manual toothbrush is always a norm and has its own pros too. But if the child is lazy to brush and does not even like to be helped it makes it very difficult for the mother to maintain the oral hygiene of the child. In such cases electric toothbrushes are a blessing.
- So can i continue using manual brush? Yes of course as long as the child is brushing properly and not fussing. Manual brushing has its own benefits like developing motor skills in children.
- Can my toddler, brush on his own with an electric toothbrush? Yes of course. But parental monitoring with regards to brushing techniques is essential at least until the age of 7.
- Are there any problems that comes with using electric toothbrush? Not really. But as mentioned before parents must always supervise the child while brushing. There could possibly be a choking hazard to the child; but that could be with manual brushing as well. Also if started very early, the electric brush may cause bleeding in gums for the kids. So you need to be very carefully watching when the child is using the brush.
- Is a toddler electric brush different from adult brush? Yes it is. The electric tooth brush is designed according to the size and shape of the mouth appropriate to that age. So please always buy the brush that is of the correct age group for your child.
- What do i do if my child is chewing the bristles of electric toothbrush? Well that's a habit most moms are fighting about. It is to do with the child and not the brush. You will have to slowly educate the child about the negative effects of chewing the brush and slowly encourage them to brush properly and reward them each time they do it right.
- Are rechargeable electric tooth brushes expensive? Can i go for disposable ones? While both are equally good in performance, rechargeable ones last longer. You could start with disposable ones, as they are little less expensive(not massive though) and once your child starts to like it, move to rechargeable ones.
- How often do i need to change the head of the electric brush? It is recommended by ADA that the head needs to be changed every 3 months.
- Can i get toothbrush covers for electric toothbrushes? Yes of course you can. You could buy them in any superstore or online.
- Can i get different cartoon character toothbrushes? Not really. But most brushes are customised and do come with loads of stickers to decorate your child toothbrush with their favourite character.
- Do the toddler toothbrush play music? yes some of them do. It depends on the make and brand. Some have colourful lights in them, some play music and some makes sounds of animals.
- Do the electric toothbrush have timer in them? Yes most advanced electric toothbrushes have a 2 minute timer in them which is considered to be sufficient brushing time for a toddler by most dentists.
- How do i replace the battery of electric toothbrush? The battery in them can only be charged but unfortunately can't be replaced. You need to buy a new brush once it wears out, but thats going to be a couple of years anyway.
- How do i clean or sanitise a toddler toothbrush? There are 3 main methods with which you could sanitise your toddler's toothbrush. Firstly, you could soak it in an antibacterial mouthwash for a couple of hours and then clean it in plain water before use. Secondly, you could boil the toothbrush for 3 minutes in boiling water. Lastly you could buy a toothbrush sanitiser from the market and use it as per instructions.
- How do i know what is the best electric toothbrush for my child? Yes this is the most daunting questions of all. Hence we are here to help. Kindly read through our in depth analysis and reviews about electric toothbrushes which will guide you to buy the best brush for your little one.
- Where can i buy the electric toothbrush? You could buy them at any superstore or through trusted retailers like Amazon. Don't forget to read our reviews before buying.