Top 5 Best Jogging Strollers | 2017 Reviews
The impulse to quickly shed extra weight gained during pregnancy leads many new mothers to think about buying a jogging stroller. After all, what better way is there to lose the baby pounds than to go running every day?
There’s one big problem: mom may be ready to go for a run, but a newborn baby isn’t. Experts warn that an infant’s neck muscles aren’t adequately developed to be able to handle the shakes and bumps they’ll experience when placed in a jogging stroller. It isn’t until a baby is at least eight months old that its body can endure the physical experience of being pushed on often-bumpy terrain at fast speeds.
But here’s the good news. Eight months is a perfect amount of time for mom to work back into running shape – and shop for one of the top 5 best jogging strollers.
Why even bother with a jogging stroller, when you probably already have an expensive baby stroller sitting right in your front hall or on your porch? It’s because regular strollers aren’t built to take the wear and tear of moving quickly across rough pavement while hitting holes or bumps, let alone braving off-road jogging trails. A baby riding in an ordinary stroller under those conditions could be exposed to severe danger.
There are a number of the features to look for on a jogging stroller, which you won’t find on a day-to-day model. They include large, air-filled tires to absorb impact, a single locking front wheel for stability at high speeds, a seat that’s tilted backward so shocks are spread out throughout the baby’s body and not concentrated on the spinal column, and a good set of shock absorbers. A small child’s body is obviously still developing, and isn’t yet built to take the stress of being run in a stroller. It requires the extra protection found in high-quality jogging strollers.
Naturally, there’s nothing saying that it can’t work the other way around: you can certainly buy a high-quality jogging stroller and also use it as your everyday method of walking baby around the neighborhood, if you don’t mind using one that might be tougher to fold up and to get in and out of the trunk. In that case, you’ll want a stroller with a front wheel that swivels and isn’t permanently locked into place; otherwise, it will be almost impossible to steer. On the other hand, most serious runners would only consider a fixed wheel model.
That’s just one thing to consider, when you see the prices on many of the best jogging strollers in our reviews. Like buying a car seat, the stroller too has a lot of features that you need to consider.
Quick Comparison Table
BOB Revolution Flex Stroller
Thule Glide Sport Stroller
Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
Baby Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller
Swivel Front Wheel
Fixed Front Wheel
Swivel Front Wheel
Swivel Front Wheel
Swivel Front Wheel
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- What is a Jogging Stroller? It is a three wheeled stroller used for running with the baby where all the three wheels are fixed or the front wheel has the option to be fixed or swiveled based on the model. It is highly recommeded to have the front wheel fixed while running as even a small pebble can send the stroller in unplanned directions. It can be set to swivel mode for easy maneuvering while walking.
- Does all the models of Jogging strollers have both fixed and swivel options? The answer is NO. You might have to spend slightly more for dual functionality. If you only plan to run with it then go for the permanently fixed wheels that points straight ahead.
- Why would i need a dual function jogging stroller? Can the fixed wheel stroller not do the job? Yes it can as long the place or city you live in is not heavily crowded. If you had to go to the supermarket with limited space or lots of people around, you might want to swivel your way and whizz through the till. In simple terms, if you are living in densely populated areas with smaller shops or crowded superstores and packed parking lots, you might want to spend that extra money to maneuver the stroller through compact spaces and get the job done in time.
- Can i jog without a jogging stroller? Not very safe for the child really. The jogging strollers are specially designed with three very large wheels, shock absorbers, and 5 point safety harness that makes it smooth while you run.
- Can a new born be put in a jogging stroller? No it is not safe as the jogging strollers do not completely recline or become flat. Your baby isn't ready for venturing out with you in a stroller until they can hold their head up in a stable position, which is ideally 6-7 months old.
- Can i put an infant car seat on the jogging stroller? Though a couple of models have car seat adapter where you can mount it, it is advised not to as it can cause physical injuries to your child.
- Can you take the jogging stroller on an airplane? Yes you can. But you may have to checkin at the counter or at the gate for easy transportation.
- Can i use a jogging stroller as a everyday stroller? Yes you can.
- Can it be folded easily? Yes very comfortably.
- Can i take my jogging stroller to a beach? Of course you can. This is best suited even on sand while normal strollers are a No Go.
- Where can i buy a Jogging stroller? You can buy them in store or trusted online sites like Amazon. We would strongly recommend you to read through our reviews before pinning down on the one you want. The model, brand,features and affordability all need to be carefully considered before buying.
Originally posted 2016-05-08 14:23:13.