Top 5 Best Baby Video Monitors | 2019 Reviews
It’s difficult to create a ranking list for just about any product, because no two people have exactly the same needs. What makes an item ideal for one reader could be someone else’s deal-breaker. That means we occasionally have to make tough, executive decisions when choosing products to list as the “best.”
We were faced with one of those decisions when ranking the top 5 best baby monitors. For example, should “best baby monitor” mean simply that you get the sharpest picture and highest quality sound from the baby’s room? Or does a monitor also have to be able to capture pictures and video at will, or play soothing music for a crying infant or sick baby?
We’ve tried to split the middle. We’ve included both types but focused on the baby-specific models, with just one high-end general-purpose monitor included for comparison.
There are other considerations when choosing a video baby monitor, of course. The range of the system (and whether it can reliably transmit through one or more walls), whether it interfaces with cellphones and tablets, and the ease of setting it up all should factor into your buying decision, as should invaluable features like motion detectors and push-to-talk capability (so you can calm a fussing infant). These are reflected in our rankings as well.
So, as you read through our list of the top 5 best baby monitors, please remember that we’re trying to provide enough information to let every reader make his or her own decision. The factors that are most important to you may make our #3 or #4 choice but your number one option. All five, though, are fine products.
Quick Comparison Table
iBaby M6T HD Wi-Fi Digital Baby Video Camera Monitor
Nest Cam Security Camera
Motorola MBP853 Connect Digital Baby Monitor
Infant Optics DXR-5 Portable Baby Monitor
Gynoii GPW-1025-20 WiFi Smart PT Baby Monitor
360° pan, 110° tilt
Full zoom, pan and tilt
355° pan, 100° tilt
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- Why is the Baby Video Monitor necessary? This is a miracle device for moms who would like to get things done at home while the baby is sleeping and still like to keep an eye on it. It captures both audio and video clips to be seen on the handheld device or on your smartphone. It is also extremely helpful for parents with hearing disability who cannot hear the baby cry through the walls.
- What are the different types of child monitors available? Primarily there are 2 types : Audio baby monitor and Video baby monitors which has audio feature embedded in it.
- Can i know more about Audio Vs Video Baby Monitors? Audio is the primitive method of monitoring your child which typically has a sound transmitter in the baby's room and a receiver at the parents end. When there is a sound caused by motion or crying, parents can hear it at the other end. Video monitors capture both audio and video clips, so that parents can have a peek at their little one when it is sleeping. They are equipped with more and more modern technology and can now be monitored using your smartphone.
- What is a night vision Baby Monitor? This is an advanced feature included in the video monitors to keep an eye on the child when the light goes off. There is a small red infrared light in the camera just enough to watch your child but not bright enough to keep it awake.
- Which baby monitor is best suitable for me? It entirely depends on your need and also on your budget. Audio monitors are comparatively cheaper and does the job it is intended to fairly well. Video monitors on the other hand have many features like video capture, live streaming, recording, night vision and many more embedded into it which makes it a powerful tool. So it is for you to choose between necessity and extravagance. Some video monitors are also available in the budget range. Please read through our in depth review page before you make your decision.
- Where do i need to mount the baby monitor? You could mount it 7-8 feet(depending on the range of the instrument) away from the child's bed.
- Can i get a monitor stand? Most devices come with the stand for mounting your devices. But in rare cases where it isn't provided, you could always buy it through online retailers like Amazon or in store.
- Are there any dual camera monitors or multi room baby video monitors available in the market? Yes of course there are. Most devices support upto 4 cameras per unit. Please read through our in depth review page for more details.
- Can i have a video monitor with no Wifi? Yes you can. but you may have to sacrifice many advanced features like live streaming or clouding your videos. If thats not what you are after, it will definitely work for you.
- Can my video monitor be hacked? Yes it does have some security issues that comes with it. In a situation where you have lost your phone on which the video monitor is configured, it gives a inside look into your private rooms. So extra attention is needed in this respect. But video monitors with handheld devices pose minimal risk.
- Are there any travel baby monitors available? Yes there are some portable ones available in the market. They may have minimal functionalities but does the intended job.
- When do i stop using the baby monitor? It entirely depends on the comfort of your child and yourself. You may want to continue using it while your toddler is playing or when you want to keep a watch on your child when left with nanny or just for security around your house.
- Where can i buy the child video monitors? It could buy it in store or through trusted online retailers like Amazon. But please don't forget to read through our review page before you nail down on your choice.