Top 5 Best RC Helicopters | 2020 Reviews
Drones are quickly becoming an integral force in both military and commercial operations around the world. They’re used to launch air strikes in war-torn areas and for surveillance and crowd control operations by police. They’re an important marketing tool for realtors marketing homes for sale, and have become commonplace in the production of news and sports broadcasts. Even your Amazon and Domino’s orders may soon be delivered by drone.
It would be a safe bet that almost everyone involved in the development of this technology became interested in it by playing around with radio-controlled helicopters or planes. RC helicopters have been around since the mid 20th century, but it wasn’t until recently that they became widely available for hobbyists and kids; today’s versions are more stable than ever and easier for newer pilots to control. They are also relatively inexpensive, making RC copter flying a booming hobby that can give budding drone designers a good education in the scientific concepts they’ll need to master – or simply let them have a lot of fun. A more detailed research on RC helicopters or drones for kids can be seen here.
Some models on the market have an internal combustion engine and use the same type of “glow fuel” that’s been used for RC helicopters for decades, most commonly containing nitromethane (which is why these models are often called “nitro copters”). These are more difficult for novices to use and potentially more dangerous. For that reason, we’ll be looking solely at electric-powered options in our list of the top 5 best RC helicopters. We’re also focusing on copters in the “toy” or “hobby-grade” categories which will provide a terrific flying experience, but don’t have some of the complicated (and more expensive) features you’ll find on models aimed at intermediate or advanced users.
That still gives us a good range of RC helicopters to cover, from simple coaxial copters to four-channel quadcopters that can buzz around like a drone on a super-secret spy mission. We’ll also touch on higher-level models. All are suitable for kids – and for adults searching for a hobby that will eat up much more of their spare time than they had ever imagined.
You may also want to check out our comprehensive Best RC Helicopter Buying Guide here.
Quick Comparison Table
Blade Scout CX RTF 3-Channel Heli
Syma S107 RC Helicopter with Gyro
WLtoys V262 Big 6 Axis RC Quadcopter RTF
Blade mCX2 RTF
Walkera V450D03 RTF
816g battery included
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- What is an RC Helicopter? Why should i buy it? RC or remote controlled helicopter is a flying machine that is controlled by the transmitter on your hand or with an app on your mobile. It is more of a hobby than it was ever before. Initially it was played for fun but now a days it is a raging craze to get better and better at it. It is also considered as the best gifting option for kids and also for adult enthusiasts.
- What is an RTF and BNF helicopters? Manufacturers do 2 types of drones for the same model keeping the requirement of their customer in mind. RTF or ready to fly model is for novice users who have minimal or no technical knowledge of putting the heli together and calibrating it to fly at its best efficiency. So it comes completely assembled, calibrated and tested. Whereas BNF or bind and fly is for those enthusiasts who crave for more than just flying the drone. They get to assemble their own little flying machine and then fly it to greater satisfaction.
- Which is the best beginner RC helicopter? There are several available in the market which might be very confusing. First you need to pick on the type of heli you are comfortable with and of course stick to your budget. We would recommend you to read through our in depth review page before nailing down on the drone of your choice.
- Can i fly my RC helicopter outdoors? Yes some of the models are tough and can be flown outdoors. A couple of models are recommended to be flown inside but can be flown outside in calm weather conditions. Please read the product instructions before use.
- Can RC Helicopter carry GoPro Camera? Yes it can. Some come with the camera and few others come with a GoPro attachment to which a compatible camera can be fixed.
- What are Fixed pitch, Collective pitch and Coaxial RC Helicopters? The pitch of the main rotors in a fixed pitch heli is fixed and the lift is controlled by the speed of the helicopter. If the speed is increased, you get more lift and if decreased it starts to descend. The pitch or the angle of attack in a collective pitch heli can be altered to increase the lift while the speed of the rotors remains constant. In a Coaxial RC heli there are a pair of rotors mounted one on top of the other but rotating in the opposite direction. It has 2 seperate motors that fuel each of these rotors. They control both the speed and the angle of attack.
- Can i paint my RC Helicopter? Yes you can. But you need to take extra care to gently rough the blades with a sandpaper and apply a thin film of paint. You need to check the balance before flying it. If thick layer of paint is applied you might loose the balance of your heli. Please read the manufacturers advice before painting.
- Why can't i control my RC Helicopter? Why does my RC heli keep spinning? There could be several reasons for it. Firstly, the weather could be playing a major role to send it in the direction you don't intend to. Secondly, the speed at which you are flying it may not be appropriate. and Finally, the tail rotor may not be vertical. You may need to adjust it in the other direction to give it some balance.
- Can i build my own RC Helicopter? Yes you can. You need to buy BNF (Bind and Fly) models of the RC Heli.
- Can my RC Helicopter break easily? Well that depends on the make. If the manufacturer has strictly indicated for indoor flying, you need to stick to it as hard surfaces outside may damage it. Also extra care must be taken, not to crash it against the walls several times as it may break the parts. But by spending a few more quid you may be able to invest in the ones that are more robust and durable.
- How long does it take to charge a RC helicopter? It takes anywhere between 30 min to 2 hrs depending in the model.
- How long will the RC Helicopter fly? It again depends on the make. Ideally they have 6-8 min of fly time.
- How tight should the blades be in a RC heli? It should be tight enough for it to hold the heli when doing a turn and loose enough to move a bit when it bounces.
- Why is my RC helicopter flying backwards? There could be two reasons. One prominent factor could be gusty winds that is trying to push the heli back against its normal coarse. The other factor could be that the tail is heavy. Try to align your heli using the flybar. Finally read the instruction manual of the product.
- Where can i buy the motor parts? You could buy it through Amazon or in store.
- Where can i shop for my RC Helicopter? You could buy them through trusted retailers like Amazon or in store. Please read through our in depth review page before finalising.