Top 5 Best Blood Pressure Monitors | 2017 Reviews
Your heart is an important part of your body, it continually works every day for you to function normally. The arteries are key in blood circulation and if your blood pressure is high, they could suffer greatly in the process. High blood pressure is now becoming a very common problem, and the fact that there are no direct, or obvious symptoms associated especially to it is actually making it difficult to prevent.
This is basically the reason why it is important to properly monitor your blood pressure from time to time, because you don’t really know when it hits. By the time the symptoms are pronounced you are probably on a worse condition. Think about it, no symptoms only proper monitoring is key. In line with this, it is important for you to have a blood pressure monitor. Blood pressure monitors come in many forms, you have manual, or automatic, and then there’s the cuff measurement to consider as well.
In order for you to be able to choose one, it would be best to know the things to consider when buying a blood pressure monitor. First, you have to make sure it is accurate. If you want optimal results from your monitoring then it is highly beneficial that you only get an equipment that would give you accurate results you needed to track every day. This is the data that you and your doctor will heavily rely on in assessing your overall health and if you need medications or treatment. Second, you should go for a tool that is easy to use, chances are you are going to need the help of your housemates, mainly your family in monitoring your blood pressure. These people will not be able to help you, if it’s going to be a little difficult for them to figure out the device, which is why some people are opting the use of automatic ones; they are generally hassle free.
We have tested several blood pressure monitors and came up with the top five. Ready?
Quick Comparison Table
Omron 10 Series Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor
Panasonic EW3109W Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
LotFancy Automatic Digital Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Slight Touch Wrist Digital Blood Pressure Monitor
1 pound (approx)
4 AA batteries
4 AAA batteries
4 AA batteries
4 AA batteries
2 AAA batteries
Once you have chosen among the recommended blood pressure monitors, the only logical step left is proper setup and maintenance of your device. You have to make sure that it is correctly giving you the results you require by continually calibrating it with other devices or letting your doctor analyze it every once in a while. This will ensure that your tracked results are optimized and will work for your advantage.
FAQ (By Our Ardent Readers)
- Why do I need a at home blood pressure monitor? It is always necessary to monitor the BP while you are pregnant as you can be rest assured of your well being. In case you notice any variation, it is always good to contact your doctor for more advise.
- How reliable are these blood pressure monitors? There are quite accurate but nevertheless they are not a substitute to the clinical monitors used by doctors. If you are concerned about the readings in your home monitor it is always advisable to go see a doctor.
- What are the different types of blood pressure monitors available? There are three main types of monitors available in the market. Firstly, the most reliable and recommended by all doctors is the automatic cuff style bicep monitor. Second is the wrist monitor and the third is the finger monitor. These two are less reliable with their readings.
- Are blood pressure monitors different for pregnant women and children? Not really. But you need to check if the monitor has been validated for these conditions.
- What is a Ambulatory blood pressure monitor? How is it different from the normal blood pressure monitors? The ambulatory blood pressure monitor is similar to a clinical tool with a cuff style bicep monitor that records BP every 20 min for 24 hrs. This is used by patients with suspected hypertension, pregnancy induced hypertension, suspected BP with cardio vascular diseases, poorly controlled hypertension etc. This is similar to the home monitor but is used to record readings over a period of 24 hours.
- Can i store my readings on my computer or tablet? Yes some devices do support a few android apps where the readings are automatically transferred to your computer for future reference.
- Is the cuff size suitable for all sizes? The cuff of a blood pressure monitor comes with standard size mostly suitable from small to large sizes. But you are after much bigger or smaller size it can readily be purchased from any online websites or from any retail stores.
- Can Apple watch monitor my blood pressure? No. It only monitors the heart rate and not the blood pressure.
- What is a Vive precision blood pressure monitor? It is a home blood pressure monitor rigorously tested for accuracy. It also alerts the user if there are any irregular changes in the heart beat.
- Can blood pressure monitor detect heart attack? Not really. But the best part is that most models does flag an alarm when they detect irregularities in heartbeat. This should caution the user and necessary steps need to be taken by consulting your doctor in order to avoid major fatalities.
- How do i know if the cuff is too tight or too loose? The cuff should be worn one inch above your elbow and you should be able to put one finger between your arm and the cuff. This is just the right way to get those accurate readings.
- What if the cuff is slightly loose or tight than normal? Do i still get the accurate readings? Not possible. The cuff need to be worn according to the instructions supplied for you to get the precise readings. If you are still not satisfied you could take a couple of readings and then average it. But if the readings are of concern, it is always advised to see your doctor.
- Is there any particular time i need to take the readings? You could do at any time of the day when you are relaxed. Also make sure you take the readings at exactly the same time of the day for consistency.
- How do i compare my readings of home blood pressure monitor with my clinical readings? Home monitor always give you slightly lower readings as you are in a much relaxed environment. It is perfectly normal to expect a slight variance with your clinical readings.
- Which arm does the cuff need to be worn while taking the readings? All blood pressure monitors are designed to take readings from the left arm. So it is highly recommended to use it on the left arm.
- Does the readings differ when the cuff is used on either left or right arm? Well most instruments are designed to be used for left hand. If for some reason you want to use it on your right hand the variance should not be more than 10mmHG. In case you notice a huge variance please try it on your left hand for another reading or consult the doctor immediately.
- Could my blood pressure monitor be wrong? The home monitors are designed and tested to perform to great precisions. But in case you have a very high or low reading, re-adjust the cuff, sit in a relaxed position and start again to take readings at regular intervals to see if the readings are the same or if you are extremely concerned it is always better to see the doctor.
- Do blood pressure monitors wear out? No they don't. They are manufactured to last really long. But in case it gets damaged for some reason it is always good to buy a new one than getting it repaired.
- Where can i buy the blood pressure monitors? You can buy them from any retail store or from any trusted websites like Amazon. Please do not forget to read through our reviews about various products before deciding.